We would be delighted to talk to you if you are looking to be married at any of our churches. You may be unsure of how to proceed in terms of booking a date and considering all the elements of preparing for your special day, so please do contact the Church Office if you would like to find out more.
The information below is intended to answer some of your possible questions, but if you have others please do contact the Church Office (see below).
Can we marry in a specific church?
One of you needs to have at least one of the 'qualifying connections' to a church in order to be able to marry in that particular church. These are:
>that one of you
- has at any time lived in the parish for a period of at least 6 months, or
- was baptised (christened) in the parish, or
- is confirmed and your confirmation was entered in the register of confirmations for the church, or
- has at any time regularly gone to normal church services in the parish church for a period of at least 6 months
>or that one of your parents, at any time after you were born
- has lived in the parish for a period of at least 6 months, or
- has regularly gone to normal church services in the parish church for a period of at least 6 months
>or that one of your parents or grandparents:
- was married in the parish
There is a lot of information about church weddings on the Church of England website - have a look here
Is there any preparation for a wedding?
Yes, you will meet with the Vicar initially at least once, and we run a Marriage Preparation Day in January for couples being married with us that year. This Day will provide an opportunity for questions and discussion as well as explaining what is involved in the service and giving you lots of information.
If one of you is divorced there will be some specific discussion to be had with the Vicar prior to him being able to agree to marry you. Please contact the Church Office as this is not necessarily a barrier to you being married in Church.
How much does it cost?
There are set fees, which are advised annually by the Archbishop's Council, and additionally some optional fees such as those for having the church bells rung (not available at Sevenhampton). For more details contact the Church Office or look at the Church of England website here.
How can I start the process of being married with you?
Please make contact with the Church Office (below) in the first instance. The Administrator will ask for some initial information and you will then be contacted by the Vicar.